Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hypocrisy!

Have you seen the commercials about how much food is wasted every day or every week or month or year in this country or state or city? I just saw one that I found particularly troubling. It took place in a New York City subway station. A young lady was walking and talking to the camera when a train arrived filled with green apples. The doors opened and tons of apples spilled out everywhere. The mysterious disembodied voice emanating from the PA system announced, "Every day, [however many] pounds of food are wasted in this city. Go to [website] to learn more and help stop the waste!" But the makers of that commercial just wasted, oh, I don't know, hundreds if not thousands of pounds of apples to make that statement. So how is that helping? Okay, yes, it may make people more aware of waste and help to curb such waste in the future. But they still wasted a ton of food. Unless...wait a minute...unless the apples were fake! Like those false apples you see in people's fruit baskets in their houses, which are put there to make the people seem more health-conscious than they really are. And sometimes they look so real that you pick one up and start to polish it and it's not until you actually take a bite that you realize you've been duped. Oh, c'mon, I'm not the only one that's happened to! Anyway, back to my point--I don't think these apples were fake. They certainly looked and sounded like real apples as they tumbled out of the train and fell on the cold stone floor as I watched, helplessly, from my living room. Granny Smith, wherever she is, is crying her eyes out right now. Or rolling in her grave if she has passed away. I just don't know. Never had the pleasure of meeting her. Well, I think I've made my point.

No comments: