Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Holidays

Well, it's the holiday season. And I feel obligated to write something about it. Not that I really have anything to say. But what would people say if I wrote nothing about the holidays during this time? I shudder to think. So here I am. I suppose there are some things I could say.
I was in the elevator today with someone who works in the building where I live. I asked him something like "Ready for the holidays?" You know, one of those types of things we always say when searching for something to say in the elevator to someone we don't know all that well. His reaction was interesting. He said, "Oh, yeah, tryin' to. So much pressure. Tryin' to give the right gifts, figuring out how to afford them, rushing around everywhere. Put me six feet under, man."
I believe that's the first time I've heard someone welcome death in response to the holidays. I said, "C'mon, man, the holidays are supposed to be a happy time," and at that point he did say he was thankful for his wife and kids and all the blessings he had. But after saying he wished he were dead. I mean, I think he was exaggerating, but still, isn't it sad that people have this type of response to a season which is supposed to bring joy and love to everyone? I feel as though people stress the importance of focusing on family and the things that really matter (instead of the things that stress us) every year, and yet plenty of others still sweat the shopping and the presents and the party-planning and cooking. Something's wrong here. The easy answer is to make Christmas less commercial and bring it back to its roots. A Christmas tree and presents, while I really enjoy having them each year, are not really symbols of Jesus. Okay, yes, Jesus got presents on his first birthday, but that's because he was Jesus. Other children and adults are not Jesus. As for the tree, I'm not really sure why that came about. I'm sure there's a reason, and sometime I'll go find out what it is. But not now.
Chanukah is far less commercialized than Christmas, but people still run around like maniacs trying to get gifts for it. And I don't know enough about Kwanzaa and any other holidays that may be celebrated at this time to write anything about them. Well, there you have it. Happy Holidays, everyone, and please try to focus on what they really mean and not let that get lost in the hustle-bustle of gift-shopping and party-planning.

No comments: