Friday, May 28, 2010

How to Stand Out in the Crowd

A helping hand, people. When you don't know what a word means, just don't look it up, don't ask anyone, and simply interpret it any way you please, however totally incorrect. Just take a guess. It just may get you noticed. It did for me. And look where I am now. I did that with the word 'swanky,' which was the announced attire for an awards ceremony for our college theatre group, Stage Troupe. Everyone else--and I mean, every single other person--who attended wore either a suit or a dress. I wore a black hefty trash bag with armholes cut out, and sunglasses. I just could not believe I was the only one who had interpreted the attire more...loosely? Creatively? Stupidly? So, the moral is, don't think you won't be the only one. Don't think, Oh I'm sure someone else will wear this, someone else will do this, because you might turn out to be terribly wrong. Some ideas--like about forty-five percent of mine--sound great in your head but lose a little something in reality, when you're sitting in a huge plastic bag surrounded by people dressed to the hilt in red-carpet style. That may have been a wake-up call for me, because it certainly deterred me from ever doing that again, even though I did receive several compliments on my wardrobe.

No comments: