Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Names That Might Actually Make Your Cat Leave You

What are the most unique cat names out there? Check out the top ten I've found. Got any to rival these? I'd love to hear them. People sometimes give strange names to their pets, don't they? Let's face it, they sometimes give strange names to their kids, too. As we go through this list of unique cat names, I want you to put yourself in the paws of the cats given these names, and ask yourself: If I knew what I know as a person, but were a cat, what would I think of my name?
Here we go....

The first unusual cat name on the list is Appollinaris. I found this one on www.funcatnames.com/. According to the site, it was the name of a cat belonging to renowned American writer Mark Twain (real name Samuel Clemens). Okay, so it's unusual, and a bit long, but it doesn't seem too ridiculous. Just wait.

All of the following names I found on www.cat-names.us/.

How about Vegemite? Wouldn't you just love to be named after a yeast extract spread? I know I would.

If that name doesn't strike your fancy, what about a different food, like Mushroom?

Oh, heck, why don't we just go ahead and name the cat Bologna while we're at it? Bologna? Seriously? This I don't understand. Unless you live in China, how do you look at a cat and think of food? And since this site was "cat-names.us," I'm a little confused.

If you don't want to name your cat after any type of food, why not go with a name like Goober? It's a southern U.S. term for a peanut--or a northern U.S. term for a southerner (well, to be specific, a redneck whose tires on his truck are so big his wife needs to be an Olympic pole vaulter to get into the passenger seat).

Not crazy about that one, either? Well, I don't know why, but okay...what about Bacardi? What alcoholics name their cats.

If your cat practices civil disobedience, why not name him Gandhi, after the celebrated peace activist? How does a cat do anything that would remind you of Gandhi? I guess if, instead of pooping in your shoes when he's angry, your cat stages a sit-in and refuses to go to the vet when you want him to, the name might be fitting.

If you're still not loving any of these, fear not...we've got a few more good prospects for you, beginning with Balto. Yes, like the famous sled dog who aided the Eskimos. Why give your cat a cat name when you can name it after a completely different species, known for its tendency to chase and torment cats?

If naming your cat for a dog is just not quite weird enough for you, you might want to go even further and call it Frog, after a creature that lives in water--which cats hate.

And lastly, how about Cancun? I know it may seem a bit strange to name an animal after a geographical location, but not if you went there on Spring Break and got so wasted that you came home with a cat you don't remember buying--or stealing.

Why do people give their cats these names? You've got me. Your guess is as good as--or perhaps better than--mine. But the question remains...if you were the cat, would you want any of the names above? If you need to get the weird naming thing out of your system, though, please do it on the pets and not on the kids. I'm telling you, it may seem like a novel and fun idea when they're born, but not when they're being verbally tortured in school and resent you for the duration of their young lives, until they're old enough to go to court and get their names legally changed. At least the cats won't know that they have ridiculous names, and probably won't hate you for them.

No comments: