Thursday, April 9, 2009

Adventures in Acting

So I've decided I'm going to chronicle my adventures in the world of professional acting. So far, I haven't got much to write. I've got more to write about all the weirdos I've met on my various trips to the city than I do about my actual acting experiences. But those people add a little flavor to a story, so I'm thankful for them.
Anyway, I got up at four a.m. recently to go to an audition in New York City. Four. They say you have to be a little insane to be an actor--I think I've got that part covered. I felt the audition went quite well, but later I find out that the stand-alone copies i brought in for sheet music aren't gonna cut it in the biz. Apparently, it screams 'amateur.' So I've since put a music book together, and I feel more professional and confident knowing now that people will see me as more professional.
So after that audition, I went to TVI Actor's Studio to meet up with my consultant and sing for him so he could evaluate me for consideration in musical theatre classes. It didn't go as well as I had hoped. I just wasn't as into it as I wanted/needed to be. My energy was lacking, I wasn't acting enough while I sang--I did sing well, and loudly, so that was good, but the rest was missing. I vowed that that would be the last time I gave a lackluster performance of any kind, regardless of the circumstance.
Even more recently, I woke up at 3 am to go to another audition. This time, it was for Broadway. I arrived at the audition location at 7a.m., two hours before sign-in was scheduled to begin--and saw a line. Okay, not surprising. But this was a very long line. I made sure it was the right line, then began walking to the end of it. Well, at least I got here two hours early, I thought. I won't have to wait too long. I walked to the end of the line--only to find that that was not the end at all. The line continued to the left, around the corner of the building. All the way down to the next cross-street. I walked all the way down there, only to find that the line continued around the next corner further down than I could see. I walked, more and more disheartened with every step, until at last I came to the end--nope, wait, just a gap in the line where some maintenance guy had told the other auditionees they couldn't stand, cause they were blocking some door. Keep walking. Ah, yes, the end. Really, this time. The real end of the line. There were at least four hundred people ahead of me. I calculated in my head that if the auditors saw someone every two minutes--and that was wishful thinking, believe me--in eight hours (the absolute maximum amount of time they would be there), they still wouldn't see me. it was an open call, meaning they were seeing people in order of arrival. I was about to turn around and go back home, but I stayed because I started talking to a few kids who had come in together from New Jersey. if not for them, I probably would have left. Anyway, I decided to stay until 9 a.m., just to see how the line was moving, and make a decision after that point. So, we start moving a little after 9, slowly, believe me, but we're moving, so that's encouraging. Then, someone comes around and tells us that the auditors are going to be 'typing' today--that means lining people up and choosing who gets to audition based on physical type, i.e., look. If you've got the look they're going for, you get to audition--so long as they don't already have enough people with your look. If you don't have the look they want, you're s.o.l. The young woman who tells us about the typing says there are over 1,000 people here to audition. Over 1,000. Is this American Idol or an audition for a play? I mean, sure, it's Broadway, but are you serious?! So, around 9:30, I get my return time, when I'm supposed to come back to be typed. It's 2:00. I have to leave the area and return at 2pm to see if they want to have me audition. Oh, well. What have I got to lose by waiting, right? I mean, I came here for this anyway, might as well see it through. I kill all four and a half hours at Starbucks, during which time I order only one thing there and read and eat my lunch. I go back to be typed--and I get chosen to audition! At this point, I'm psyched. This means getting up at 3 a.m., screwing up my whole sleep cycle, spending my entire day in the city, was all worth it, because I get to sing a minute of a song for the auditors. I sing well, I'm pleased, and out I go. Ready to go home. Successful day, as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, definitely got the insanity part covered.

No comments: