Thursday, October 23, 2008

More Strange People

I saw a funny guy in New York City the other day. He was a rather large African-American man in camouflage pants and headphones. Out of the blue, he yells, to no one in particular, "It's like they say sometimes--Who cares if they go to town?" It's like who says? Who actually ever says that? These were a couple of the questions that his outburst spawned.
I'm not the only one who encounters odd human beings in my travels. A friend of mine told me about a homeless man he saw fishing on the sidewalk. For what, you may ask? I don't know. Well, probably fish. Maybe he thought he was in a boat in the ocean or a lake. Not sure. You'd have to ask him. If you did, he'd probably look at you funny and say, "Of course I'm in an ocean--what are you, an idiot?!"
I tried to give food to a homeless man once and he turned it down. I was like, really? Here I had some tasty chicken breast and an apple I had carried quite a distance all for him--I carried it all the way across my college campus or nearly so--and he said, "No, thank you. This will bring the rats right up to my neck." Well, then, does that mean he just avoids greasy foods? I didn't think homeless people were that selective about what they ate. I figured he'd be setting traps for the rats so he had breakfast, but that's just me.

No comments: